Hit By Hit

The Tiger Baseball Team is off to a hot start this spring, and they show no signs of slowing dow.
Randy Gore
Senior J.D. Costanzo on the pitcher’s mound

As the temperature rises and the flowers bloom, spring brings another season of Tiger baseball. Last year, the varsity team recorded a record of 17-8, coming just short of a WPIAL championship and being eliminated in the quarter finals of the PIAA state tournament. This season, the boys are hungry for what they missed out on in 2023. 

“Last season set the bar and we expect to head back to where we were last year. This time we are looking forward to winning the WPIAL championship. I think we can definitely make a run this year,” said senior first baseman and Penn State Behrend commit Cole Hammer. 

This season, North Allegheny has a promising bullpen, consisting of two West Virginia commits in senior J.D. Costanzo and junior Nico Varlotta and senior Penn State commit Charles Mau. Costanzo counted a total of 91 strikeouts in 2023, placing him third in total strikeouts in Tiger history. Varlotta achieved one of the most impressive feats in baseball by pitching a no-hitter last season. Also adding to North Allegheny’s firepower are pitchers David Posey and Greg Schmidt. Posey and Schmidt announced their commitments to Navy and Mercyhurst, respectively, on National Signing Day, along with Mau and Costanzo.

This sport has given me some friends and memories that will last a lifetime.

— Andrew Dixon, catcher

“You have to have a short term memory as a pitcher. I try to forget the last at-bat, whether I let up a hit or threw a strikeout. You can’t let your past affect your present,” Varlotta said. “It’s not hard to get heated when you’re up there. Staying calm can determine the outcome of a lot of games.”

For some seniors, this last season feels surreal, especially catcher Andrew Dixon.

“My favorite part of being a part of this team is being able to spend time with my friends and going out to eat after practice,” he said. “It’s crazy to think that this is my last season. This sport has given me some friends and memories that will last a lifetime.” 

The Tigers began their season with three straight victories against Upper St. Clair, Central Catholic and Norwin with pitchers Costanzo, Posey, and Cole Suba picking up their first wins of the season. The Tigers’ victory over Upper St. Clair avenges their 2022 upset loss in the WPIAL quarterfinals. The team is hopeful for another great season, ready to hunt for a trophy that they were denied last season. Their hot start suggests that a bright year is ahead of them.