Change of Tone

Local songwriter and NASH junior Melina Bowser advocates for gun safety

Katelyn Steigerwald, Junior Class Editor

How long have you been playing guitar and writing original music?

I started playing guitar about five years ago and I wrote my first song, “If I Could,” in the summer of 2016.

Who are your musical influences?

I really admire John Mayer’s songwriting skill and his music. I also really like Colbie Caillat, Walk the Moon, and Andy Grammer. I definitely try to incorporate things from those artists into my music.

What are your aspirations in terms of music and potential careers?

I plan to stick to songwriting for my career. Whether I’m the person singing the songs or not, I hope I will be able to write for the rest of my life.

What is the name and significance of your new song?

My new song is called “Change”. I wrote it the night after the school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. These students and parents of MSD are really starting a movement that will change the world forever. I felt like I needed to do something, and the only thing I really ever do is write songs, so I decided I would donate all of the proceeds from “Change” to Everytown for Gun Safety, which is an organization that advocates for gun control and against gun violence. Something has to change and it really does start with all of us right now. I’ve been advertising the song endlessly trying to raise as much money as possible for Everytown. Music career aside, I really do just want to try and do something for everyone who has ever been impacted by an act of violence like this and make sure it will never happen again. Though it’s just a song that some 17-year-old in Pittsburgh wrote, I hope it means more to some people and raises enough to make at least a small difference in this ridiculously violent world we are unfortunately living in right now.

What is your favorite part of making your own music?

I really just like being able to write out my own thoughts and feelings and turn them into something so much bigger. It’s such a rewarding feeling when other people tell me they like my songs or sing along to my songs.  I really put a lot of myself into my songs, and when you’re that open with strangers, especially in high school, it’s terrifying. Luckily for me, it’s been nothing but amazing.

Do you have any upcoming performances in the area?

I do! I’m performing at the Andy Warhol Museum on March 16th for the Youth Invasion event. I sometimes sing at open mic nights and other small things around Pittsburgh. I have upcoming events listed on my Facebook page, too!

******

Check out “Change” by Melina Bowser right here!