On the March

Girl Up throws in for the fight for women's rights

On the March

Sanjana Sinna, Vice-President of Girl Up, helps create posters for the Pittsburgh Women's March on January 19th.

photo by Alexis Franczyk

photo by Alexis Franczyk

photo by Alexis Franczyk

Alexis Franczyk, Reporter

Many people misunderstand the word feminism and assume everyone who is a feminist believes women are superior to men. Unfortunately, this common confusion contributes to the underwhelming amount of people who support feminism. Actually, feminism is the belief that women and men are equal and therefore deserve the same rights and privileges.

In recent years the topic has seen rising interest with male figures in power, notably Donald Trump, seemingly demonstrating insensitivity towards the mistreatment of women. Thus emerged Girl Up, a global organization of young adults who stand for gender equality.

“It is very important in today’s political climate to show that feminism is not about a better gender but rather that everyone is equal.””

— Emily Viaz

Earlier this semester, NASH’s chapter of Girl Up was founded when juniors Emily Vaiz and Sanjana Sinna came to the English Department’s Mrs. Walters with an idea.

“It is very important in today’s political climate to show that feminism is not about a better gender but rather that everyone is equal,” Vaiz said, “and with everything that’s happening in the world today, people think of feminism as something bad. I want a supportive space where people can learn more about feminism.”

When proposed with this idea, Walters had no problem helping the girls out. 

When Emily and Sanjana approached me to sponsor Girl Up, I honestly had no idea what the club was,” she said. “After researching it, I could not say no. The club stands for equality for genders around the world and it empowers young women and men to help. Who wouldn’t want to help young people make a difference?”

Vaiz took it upon herself to email Tracy Baton, the director of the Pittsburgh Women’s March, and ask if there was any way the NA chapter of Girl Up could contribute to the event that will take place downtown on January 19th.  The rally aims to add a voice in the fight against oppression and discrimination around the world. The goal is to gather the political power of all women to create a change.

Baton explained that if NASH’s Girl Up group could help prepare posters for the event and drop them off at her office, she will distribute them to participants at the march who would like to show their support. And that is exactly what happened last Friday in Mrs. Walters’ room. Members of the organization grabbed the markers and poster paper and brainstormed creative ideas to convey their message of equality.

The organization has also prepared “meals in a jar” for women who cannot afford to make or buy their own meals, and Vaiz and Sinna report that many more projects are coming soon.

For Walters, Vaiz, and Sinna, Girl Up is a supportive place in which women can feel powerful and help defy the sexist stereotypes that persist today. They encourage everyone who would like to aid in the support of women’s equality to get in touch.

Alexis Franczyk, Reporter

Alexis Franczyk, a junior at NASH,  is excited to contribute to The Uproar for her first time. As an honors English student since she was in elementary...