Rubber Soul

The Crocs craze shows no sign of letting up at NASH

7 Stars Who Wear Crocs
Infogram by Kristen Kinzler

It’s now official. Crocs are back at NASH.

The signature rubbery clog, acquired in 2004 by Lyndon Hanson and George Boedecker from a company named Foam Creations, originally hit the fashion scene in 2007 and was a rage for several years before fading, like most fashion fads, from the fashion spotlight. In 2017, however, they bounced back with a new fervor.

To date, Hanson and Boedecker have sold 300 millions pairs worldwide — and more than a few of them can be seen treading the floors and staircases of the senior high.  From quirkiness to simple comfort, the appeal of the foamy footwear is hard to deny.

As most high school juniors and seniors were born in 2001, 2002, and 2003, it’s hard to find a NASH student who does not recall wearing the shoes when they were younger.

photo by Meg Rees

“I wore fuzzy crocs when I was younger, all year round,” senior Sarah Foody said. “I currently wear white Crocs with an ‘S’ jibbit. I’m too scared to wear them to school. Crocs and stairs is a no-no.”

photo by Meg Rees

The classic styles are available in more than twenty colors. Other styles include two-color combinations and patterns, like tie dye and camouflage. There is also the option to personalize your crocs with jibbitz, which are charms that can be inserted in the upper portion of the shoe.

“I think Crocs are great,” senior Brett McCutcheon said. “I like the ventilation — they let the feet breathe.” 

photo by Meg Rees

Crocs are most adored for their comfort, versatility, and functionality. While the shoe may appear stiff, its soft gel material actually shapes to the contours of the foot, like a “Sleep Number Mattress” for your feet. Also, Crocs can go with anything, ranging from pajamas to formal wear. Ideal in the rain, sleet, or snow, the Croc has become a nation-wide craze… again. Plus, thanks to the waffled design, wearers can attain some interesting tan lines.

photo by Meg Rees

But not all students enjoy the rubber clogs.  “I liked them as a kid, because you could put in charms in them, but it doesn’t fit the look I’m going for,” senior Marissa Rodriguez said.  “I want to look professional, like I’m getting my life together. It’s not for me because I’m more style over comfort.”

photo by Meg Rees

But all it takes is downward glance on your way through the halls.  The Crocs craze shows no sign of letting up.  And why not?   They’re just so convenient for a busy student’s lifestyle. No strings attached.

“I like wearing them to school because they’re comfortable, and I can flip them off easily,” junior Vicki Weser said. “I would say they’re my favorite shoes.”

photo by Meg Rees