Remembering Chadwick Boseman

The Black Panther star left behind a legacy that few will forget.

photo courtesy of Vanity Fair

Boseman served as an inspiration and advocate for the African American community.

Waverly Younts, Staff Writer

Actor Chadwick Boseman, star of the groundbreaking 2018 movie Black Panther, tragically passed away on August 28th from colon cancer. Boseman was not only an actor we all saw and loved on the big screen. He was also a son, a husband, and a role model to many in the world.

He is most credited for playing the iconic role of the Black Panther in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but Boseman also starred in many other movies. He left behind a legacy that has impacted people all over the world, including North Allegheny students.

“He was honestly one of my favorite actors, and it is really sad that we won’t get to see him in more movies,” North Allegheny student Nolan Colinear explained. “I was honestly shocked when I heard the news back in August.” 

Chadwick Boseman was born on November 29, 1976 in Anderson, South Carolina. He was a starter on the basketball team, but he found his passion for the screen when he wrote his first play junior year. After high school, he attended Howard University and got his Bachelor’s degree in directing.

Boseman’s dream was to pursue a career in directing and screenwriting, but that all changed when he decided to move to Los Angeles in hopes of becoming an actor. After being casted in many different television show episodes and even a soap opera, Boseman got his breakthrough when he landed the role of Jackie Robinson in 42. After this accomplishment, he also starred in Draft Day, Gods of Egypt, and many more iconic movies.

Sometimes you need to get knocked down to understand what your fight is.

— Chadwick Boseman

NASH junior Luke Washabaugh appreciates all of Boseman’s films, but he does have a favorite.

“Honestly, all of his movies were amazing because Chadwick Boseman was a great actor. My favorite movie of his has to be 42 because I really enjoyed how he portrayed Jackie Robinson,” he said.

Boseman’s biggest role was undoubtedly in Black Panther, which focused on the superhero and his fictional hometown, Wakanda. Boseman did all of his own stunts in the movie, and they were edited seamlessly by computer generations. The film was nominated for over 226 different awards and won 90 total.

Boseman was supposed to play his character again in a sequel. However, he tragically passed at the age of 43 before they got the chance to begin filming. 

Before his death, he was the epitome of someone who gave back to his community. He served as an advocate for the African American community and had even helped hundreds of cancer patients without revealing his own condition.

He was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer in 2016, and it later progressed to stage IV late last year. Boseman decided to not speak publicly about his diagnosis and even chose not to share the news with some members of his family. However, while he was sick, he often visited cancer patients at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Tennessee to inspire them to pursue their dreams.

Junior Lindey Glinoga shared that she was inspired by Boseman and his many accomplishments.

“I liked Chadwick Boseman not only because he was great in Black Panther, but also because he was a very selfless man who wanted to make an impact on the world and accomplished that goal,” she said.

Wakanda forever.