Spread Love, Not Germs

Pittsburgh’s annual J-serve–a day of Jewish youth service–looked a bit different this year, but teens are more than willing to volunteer their time.

Jess Daninhirsch

The t-shirt and tote bag that was passed out to J-Serve participants

Jess Daninhirsch, Junior Photography Editor

“One of the most valuable things you can do when you volunteer is to not only make the world a better place on your own, but to allow and encourage others to do the same.”

This is the mentality that Nadav Gilboa, a junior at Allderdice and one of the steering committee members for J-Serve 2021, had going into J-Serve this year.

J-Serve is an annual international day of Jewish youth community-based service. It is recognized by BBYO (one of the largest Jewish youth movements in the world) regions across the globe. In Pittsburgh, not only does the local BBYO region participate, but so do countless other Jewish organizations around the city. Although J-Serve is centered in and around the Jewish community, as it is in many BBYO regions, Pittsburgh opened their registration to any teen who wanted to participate. 

J-Serve 2021 featured a variety of program options that revolved around a central theme: Spread Love, Not Germs. 

“We chose advocacy program topics that were relevant in our everyday lives and organized volunteer sites that were compatible for the online environment as well as a few in person,” said Sarah Mayer, a senior at CAPA and one of the co-chairs for the J-Serve steering committee.

Usually, hundreds of teens flock to the Jewish Community Center in Squirrel Hill in the morning before dispersing to their service project locations around the city. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Pittsburgh’s J-Serve, held this past Sunday on April 11th, looked somewhat different than it had in past years, beginning with the fact that half of the projects took place virtually. 

“The process of planning J-Serve this year was just completely different than any other year,” said Mayer. “Instead of the usual fun, in-person meetings, everything was remote. It’s difficult to be productive during late night Zooms after a full day of being on the computer for school, but our team was so dedicated and willing to put extra time and effort to ensure that things were fully planned.”

There have been very few times that our community has been able to all come together like this in the past year, so events like J-Serve will be instrumental in building back our unity better than ever

— Maya Royston, Allderdice senior

The day began with a keynote address from motivational speaker Meir Kalmanson, known by his stage name of Meir Kay. Kay, a former rabbinical student, is a director and videographer who creates social media content to spread positivity. He emphasized the importance of jumping into life with a positive attitude–a good sentiment for the one hundred and one J-Serve participants getting ready to start their day of service.

Two of the programs planned specifically by the steering committee, a mental health workshop and a communication workshop, focused on advocacy work. 

The mental health advocacy program showcased a number of organizations dedicated to the protection of teen mental health and taught participants how to advocate for and prioritize mental health among their peers.

“Mental Health awareness was a big theme of the day, with teens leading a mental health workshop with partners such as UpStreet, PA Youth Advocacy Network, and more,” said Maya Royston, a senior at Allderdice and the other steering co-chair.

“Hearing from all of the local organizations that prioritize mental health in our area reminded me of how important advocacy and direct action is to overall community wellness,” added NASH junior Quinn Volpe.

The communication workshop, “Speaking Across Differences,” was hosted in collaboration with Resetting the Table, an organization specializing in teaching conversation techniques between people with varying opinions to help promote understanding from a different perspective.

NASH junior Sam Podnar attended the “Speaking Across Differences” program with Resetting the Table.

“I really appreciate being able to participate in a program like this,” Podnar said. “It was interesting to see how being deliberate about communication could improve understanding between people, and I think the world would be much less divided if more people experienced workshops like this one.”

“It was very refreshing to be able to have such positive and constructive conversations about topics that usually derail any argument instantly,” NASH junior Graham Wolfe added.

J-Serve participants on Squirrel Hill litter patrol (photo courtesy of Maya Royston)

Other virtual programs included art therapy with aging seniors through the Jewish Association on Aging, “Color A Smile” to spread joy around the city, exploring ways that art and creativity can help one’s mental health with UpStreet, and check-in calls with seniors at Wesley Senior Living who had been isolated during the pandemic. In-person programs included a blood drive, litter cleanup, and gardening at local garden centers.

Sarah Hurwitz, a former White House speechwriter for both Michelle and Barack Obama, had a conversation with J-Serve participants at the end of the day. She discussed her time on the White House staff, how her upbringing and career led her to where she is today, and some of her beliefs on Judaism in regards to social justice and feminism.

J-Serve steering team member Gabriella Naveh had the privilege of interviewing Hurwitz.

“I loved speaking with Sarah Hurwitz,” Naveh said. “She gave honest, thought-provoking answers to my questions and was eager to engage in extensive conversations about political, religious and moral issues. I, and the group as a whole, benefited greatly from hearing from her.”

Though J-Serve 2021 did not look like a normal J-Serve as in past years, the day left the participants satisfied with the work they had contributed.

“Overall the day was filled with activism, community service, and education. I couldn’t ask for anything more,” Mayer said.

“There have been very few times that our community has been able to all come together like this in the past year, so events like J-Serve will be instrumental in building back our unity better than ever,” Royston concluded.