A Precious Gift

The NASH Blood Drive on Wednesday drew more students than expected.

Virginia Lucas, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, the annual NASH Physical Education Department’s blood drive occurred in the gym.  Despite some logistical issues, NASH students participated enthusiastically, and Vitalant was able to collect 96 units of blood.  Mrs. Kohlmann, the NASH PE teacher who helped to organize the event, lauded donors’ willingness to follow through on their commitment.

“The sign-ups were amazing,” Kohlmann said.  “Students really stepped up.  They stepped up and they showed up.  We had about the same number of sign-ups as in the past.  We schedule them all, and usually about ⅓ of them don’t show up at all.  But this time they committed and they were showing up.”

The logistical issues behind the drive and the long wait times some students ran into while waiting to donate stemmed from a lack of available staff, according to Mrs. Kohlmann.

“The Vitalant crew didn’t send enough nursing staff,” she explained. “There’s obviously an employee shortage for many places right now.”  

This shortage ultimately meant that some potential donors were turned away on Wednesday, mostly those students and staff who had made afternoon appointments.

Some students that were able to donate noted long wait times.

“I waited for two hours,” said Lily Grbach, an 11th grader.  However, Grbach also noted that after the wait was over her turn passed quickly.

“The process was only six minutes,” she said.  “The nurses were nice.  It wasn’t painful or anything.”

Other students, such as 11th grader Kate Gilliland who had an early morning appointment, didn’t run into any wait times.

“My experience at the blood drive was really good.  I didn’t pass out and I wasn’t lightheaded at all.  I was there with a lot of my friends, and I was in and out really quickly because I went so early,”  Gilliland said.

Any students who wish to donate but were not able to on Wednesday will have another chance at the next blood drive in May, or they can independently visit any Vitalant location.  

“Anyone who really wants to donate at this particular time while there is a huge shortage of blood can go to any Vitalant center.  There is one in Cranberry and one in the North Hills.  You can go with family and make it a family affair,” Kohlmann said.  

When asked about their reasoning behind donating, students cited a desire to help others.

“I want to help people in need who can’t help themselves or who need it the most,” said Bailey Restelli, a 12th grader.  

Gilliland echoed the sentiment.  

“My blood type, O Positive, can be donated to a lot of people, so I think it was really important to do that.  And I’m happy I did it.  I love the blood drive!”