The Ultimutt Treat

Therapy dogs visited NASH last Friday to end Junior Class Council’s Wellness Week on a high note (or shall we say, a bark).

photo by Claire Majerac

Senior Jaida Copeland and junior Beck Thompson pet Marla the therapy dog.

Claire Majerac, Opinions Editor

On Friday during all lunch periods, the sound “aww,” emanated from a crowd of NASH students seemingly hundreds of times. Why, you may ask? Therapy dogs were visiting during lunch time in the room next to the auditorium foyer to wrap up Junior Class Council’s Wellness Week.

Throughout the past week, NASH students were invited to participate in a multitude of activities ranging from a temporary tattoo pop-up shop to sidewalk chalk to be used outside the building. All activities were intended to benefit students’ mental health, especially during the stressful and busy time of AP testing and finals. 

“Junior Class [Council] has sponsored Wellness Week for many years now. Unfortunately, it did not take place the past few year[s] because of Covid but we are excited to have it return this year,” said Mrs. Loeffert, the class sponsor. “We realized that there was a need to help our students manage and reduce the amount of stress they had – so we came up with the idea of wellness week.”

Marla receives affection from multiple students at once. (photo by Claire Majerac)

To Loeffert and the rest of the Junior Class Council, wellness is a holistic picture of health.

“Wellness means being mindful of your overall health — physically, mentally, socially, spiritually and intellectually,” Loeffert said.

Of all of the activities included in Wellness Week, the Therapy Dog visit was clearly the most advertised, as announcements were made about them each morning during the past week. 

“I like when the therapy dogs visit. Spending time with an animal can really reduce stress and anxiety levels,” Loeffert said. “They also provide a positive and caring form of interaction that makes all the visiting students smile.”

Research indicates that therapy animals in general have shown to provide a person with a sense of well-being that can combat anxiety and depression. In some cases, people who are “battling depression and psychological trauma” can find a moment of peace when petting and being with animals, especially dogs. 

Marla poses when seeing the camera for a close up headshot photo! (photo by Claire Majerac)

Marcy Burke, owner of the gorgeous King Charles Cavalier Spaniel, Marla, was able to sit down with The Uproar to discuss her dog Marla’s journey to becoming a certified therapy dog. 

“I always wanted to do this with a dog,” said Burke. “I hadn’t had a dog for quite a number of years and all of a sudden I felt like I wanted a dog again.”

Burke reiterated the fact that Marla is her dream dog. Dogs like Marla are rare, and she was highly sought after as a puppy. Out of 12 other applicants, Burke was selected to be Marla’s owner. On petfinder.com, Burke found the description of Marla. There was not a picture of Marla, but nonetheless Burke knew that she wanted Marla to join her family based on the dog’s description..

“We were blessed to be able to adopt her,” said Burke. “We’ve had her now for almost four years.”

Seniors Samantha Waldo, Rachel Hockenberry, Maeren Quirke, and Paige Vitanza pet Marla during fifth period lunch.

In order to become a therapy dog, a dog needs to go through training sessions and a course that entails specific exchanges with different situations which a therapy dog may be presented with. 

“Part of [the course] is obedience. The other part is getting her used to being around a hospital bed, walkers, wheelchairs, IV poles,” said Burke, “all kinds of situations that you would run into in a hospital or nursing home. She had to go up and interact with each of the patients, and she did really well. She passed the test and here we are.”

Marla often visits the same types of places. Schools, nursing homes, and hospitals are common on her rotation. Elementary school students especially enjoy reading books with Marla, as she is always keen to listen to a story. 

“I correct the child through Marla,” said Burke. “I’ll say ‘Marla thinks that word is river… Marla wants you to repeat that sentence, Marla thinks you did a good job reading that book.’”

Burke’s passion for caring for others and for her dog is shown in her willingness to share Marla’s story.

“She is lovely,” said Burke. “She’s been a blessing to us.”

Marla is with the Animal Friends organization, and all donations given at the door to visit Marla were given to her charity. 

Marla made sure to visit each guest to help them out with their day. (photo by Claire Majerac)

“Mr. Clemmer contacts Animal Friends and all donations go to them,” said Loeffert.

Besides being a Class Council sponsor, Loeffert is in charge of the preschool here at NASH. Unfortunately, the preschoolers were unable to meet the therapy dogs this year, but in years past they have read to them.

When asked about wellness week plans for next year, Loeffert is anything but indifferent about student’s mental stability and well-being.

“I think that overall wellness for students is so important, and I would support any activities that could increase mindfulness and reduce the stress level of our students,” she said. “Maybe we will add another week next year!”