The Funny Thing Is…

29-Hour Show aims first for laughs, then charity

Anya Soller, Opinions Editor

Live from NA, it’s Saturday night!

January can be bleak and boring; everyone can use a little fun, and North Allegheny’s Actors’ Society has the sketch comedy solution. The annual 29 Hour Show offers a break from the grayness of the month with a student written, directed, and produced show to benefit the Winkworth Family Memorial Scholarship Fund.

This Saturday, January 20, join NA’s actors and performers in the NASH auditorium for the not-so-late night show that comes just once a year.

What makes the 29 Hour Show such a unique NA tradition? Every sketch is entirely produced by students who spend 29 hours (from Friday after school until Saturday at 7 PM) working on creating a show for the North Allegheny community.

“I think it is the most unique and creative endeavor I have been associated with during my career as an educator,” Actors’ Society adviser Mr. Truesdell said . “It is absolutely student-centered.”

The entirely original show has been a staple of NA for the past few years, with every year’s new actors bringing fresh material and talent.

As NASH senior and one of the show’s returning cast members Sean Malady put it, “Making the show is a lot of fun because we’re given free rein to script and stage our ideas. Last year, we had some really good material and we are going to make this year’s show even funnier.”

The event is admission-free, but donations to benefit the Winkworth Fund are strongly encouraged.