Seven Springs for Dummies

10 Tips to Optimize Your Next Trip

Anton Peregoncev

NASH senior Anton Peregoncev carves into Seven Springs’ North Face in a shot captured from a GoPro mounted to the front of his snowboard.

Stefan Bordeianu, Community Editor

This Thursday, January 25th, North Allegheny’s high school ski club will board a bus and make the journey to Seven Springs Ski Resort. For new skiers and snowboarders alike, it is important to know a few basic things about the ski resort before you strap in your boots and hit the slopes.

A small caveat: Bob Nutting, owner of both Seven Springs and the woeful Pittsburgh Pirates, has raised the prices of passes and food at the resort. I would have recommend venturing to Hidden Valley, but Mr. Nutting bought it, too.

Other than Bob Nutting’s hold on the Pittsburgh skiing market, it’s a lot of fun to ski and snowboard at Seven Springs.  Here’s how to make the most of your trip:

1. Know your limits

When you first hit the slopes, it is important not to go too far out of your comfort zone. Don’t venture down moguls if you are not comfortable turning sharply. Don’t go into the woods if you’re not comfortable transitioning between powder and ice.

2. That being said, take risks

If you don’t know how to tackle moguls or ice, learn. Learning and taking risks that are not too dangerous are 100% worth the effort. I have never let injury hold me back with my snowboarding, and you should not let the fear of a small sprain or a twisted wrist hold you back from success. 

3. The mashed potato bowls are really good

The lodge serves the best mashed potato bowls that are absolutely perfect after a few hours on the slopes.

4. Try out the North Face

Seven Springs is notorious for its long lines and inexperienced snowboarders and skiers falling inconveniently in front of you. However, there is an absolutely great way to avoid those pesky inconveniences: the North Face. Although the North Face has mostly medium and black diamond slopes, the Lost Girl trail is a long and scenic easy trail.

5. Wear a helmet

I have gotten a concussion and also been knocked out from falling on my head while going off of jumps and boxes, and I wore a helmet. If I had not worn my own helmet, I would have been in much worse condition. Just please wear a helmet. 

6. Watch out for ice balls

Whenever navigating the slopes while skiing or snowboarding, it is important to be wary of ice balls that lurk throughout the slopes. If you hit a large ice ball, falling is inevitable. My friend bruised his tailbone at the expense of an ice ball, and my other friend dislocated his shoulder, so make sure to watch out. But don’t let ice balls frighten you. I have always managed to avoid these pesky inconveniences, and you will be able to easily see them if you look out for them. 

7. Slopes for the beginner

After you graduate from the bunny slopes, it’s time to get on the ski lift and hit the slopes.  A fair warning, make sure you plan your trip so that you don’t end up on an unwanted trail such as a black diamond. The Lost Girl trail, the Lost Boy trail, and Phillips run are great beginner slopes. 

8. Slopes for the confident

This is a great transition period between the green circle riders and the black diamond riders. The blue squares, or medium slopes, are very fun for both levels of skiing/snowboarding. Easy-level riders will enjoy a challenge and advanced skiers will be able to enjoy a steep, but mild, ride. I would recommend Tyrol, Stow, and my personal favorite, Wagner.

9. Slopes for the advanced

Congratulations. You’re not only skilled, but you’re also much smarter than the skiers and snowboarders in category number 7. The North Face is definitely the way to go if you prefer black diamonds. The lines are shorter, and only more advanced skiers and snowboarders journey to this side of the resort.

10. Slopes for the daring

Please be careful when braving these slopes. Goosebumps is a very steep and mogul-filled double black diamond. Speed and moguls don’t mix too well, so it is important that you know what you’re getting into. There are also a few patches of woods between medium slopes that do not have a difficulty rating but are pretty dangerous. These “slopes” have a lot of powder, but you might end up hugging a tree if you are not prepared (like I was the first few times). Hooligan snowboarders find their way to the mountain biking trails, either to test their limits or to stick it to Bob Nutting. However, if you get injured on those trails, it’s really hard for the ski patrol to get to you. I must say that it’s also illegal to do ski there, so I would highly recommend against doing so.