A Night under the Harvest Moon

Saturday’s Homecoming Dance theme met with overwhelmingly positive reviews by the student body.
NASH Student Council
After all of StuCo’s hard work, NASH students enjoyed themselves at the Homecoming dance.

Only six weeks into the school year, one of the most eagerly anticipated occasions of the year has already come and gone. 

One particular aspect of this year’s Homecoming that generated lots of chatter among the student body was the theme. Though a subtle component of putting the dance together, the theme creates the atmosphere for students to have fun and sets the ambiance of the event. In years prior, the themes have ranged from “A Stroll Through Paris” to “Escape to Hawaii.”

Senior Reilly Spitz, head of the Student Council Dance Committee, described the process to select a theme for the 2023-2024 school year.

“My cabinet heads, the fellow officers, and I decided on three options that were then voted on by all of Student Council. The themes in question were ‘Roaring 20s’, ‘Old Hollywood’, and, of course, ‘Harvest Moon,’ which won by a landslide,” she said.

Spitz also attested to the amount of effort that goes into organizing and executing decor for an event of this scale.

“We began preparing for the dance in late June,” she said, “so I felt confident that everything would be ready in time.” 

However, some students were skeptical of how the theme would pan out and felt confused as to what exactly would constitute a “Harvest Moon” themed dance.

Senior Claire Wahlenmayer said, “I didn’t know what to expect at first because it [the theme] seemed purposefully vague, but it turned out to be one of my favorites.”

I haven’t heard of other schools doing anything similar, and I know a lot of people liked it.

— Shreya Pant, Student Council

Additionally, students and faculty alike have noted that the dance was set especially early in the school year. NASH Astronomy teacher Mr. Bugel taught his students that the Harvest Moon, the full moon in closest proximity to the autumnal equinox, could be seen in the Northeast over the weekend. One can only assume the timing was an intentional detail on StuCo’s part, further adding to the charm of the dance.

In their advertising for the event, StuCo had hinted at incorporating fall elements such as colorful leaves, drawing on seasonal inspiration. The simple, yet rustic decor scheme consisted of crimson wall coverings, warm lighting, and decorative pumpkins.

For some, the seasonal themed decor earned an A in their book.

“I liked it better than previous themes because it was more fitting for autumn,” said junior Sarah Zhao.

While most students think that the theme is limited to the decor, some students choose to dress according to the theme. Last year at MORP, several students showed up with flashy 70’s attire going along with the theme of “Saturday Night Fever” but were sorely disappointed when the DJ didn’t play many groovy hits. Luckily, Harvest Moon encompassed broader options for attire and music.

It can be recorded that “Harvest Moon” was met positively by students and praised for its creativity.

Senior Shreya Pant, a member of the Student Council, said, “I thought that the theme this year was really unique. I haven’t heard of other schools doing anything similar, and I know a lot of people liked it.”