NASH to implement “Screen-Free Week” in 2024-25

Student reactions to the new policy are mixed, but the community group behind the initiative could not be any happier.
Ruby Morris

For years, laptops have been synonymous with NA students’ high school experiences. However, starting in the 2024-2025 school year, NASH officials will implement a “screen-free week” during one week per quarter of the school year.

The upcoming policy was first proposed by a group of NASH parents who developed into an interest group, Parents For Paper (PFP). PFP founder Bridget Southers explained the mission of the group.

“While we understand the benefits of providing students with laptops and phones, we as parents cannot help but notice the absurd amount of time our children are spending on these devices,” Southers told The Uproar. “Thus, we would like to see a return to a more traditional format of instruction. Pencils and papers are perfectly acceptable substitutes, so therefore, we, as parents, stand by paper.”

Gradually, the PFP has grown more popular in the community, and in response, NASH agreed to implement the “screen-free week,” which will ban student use of all electronic devices–including school laptops, personal computers, cell phones, tablets, wireless headphones, wrist watches, calculators, and even treadmills for all Health & PE courses–in all classes for one week per each of the four nine-week grading periods.

We would like to see a return to a more traditional format of instruction.

— Bridget Southers, PFP Founder

The general consensus among the PFP was that of excitement and agreement with the policy, as many members cited the many studies conducted on neurological correlations between laptop usage and deteriorating attention spans.

PFP member Jacob O’Brian expressed his excitement for the new policy.

“I am very excited to see this opportunity for the students to be away from their screens,” O’Brian stated. “It is invaluable that students can work in the most focused environment, and the removal of electronic devices will be a welcome contributor to creating such an environment.”

Additionally, Southers hopes that the new policy can be expanded to a more permanent solution.

“We hope to see success in this new policy as the first step towards the total removal of laptops, and by extension, all electronic devices in the future,” Southers expressed. “Students must be prepared for the real world, and to do so, we have no choice but to separate them from their laptops.”

However, Southers holds one objection to the policy.

“There seems to be a lack of steps for the proper enforcement of the screen ban outlined within the policy,” Southers said. “Teachers should be held to stricter standards for the monitoring of their students during the screen bans. The school should also have all the software necessary to ensure that no laptop is operating during screen-free weeks.”

While the policy has been popular among the PFP, many students feel very differently. NASH junior Wilson Schmidt expresses his frustration.

“Coming from NAI, I was already really upset about the annoying stairwells and the loss of windows [at NASH], and now they want to take away our laptops? I’m just sick of it all,” Schmidt stated.

Some NASH students have even started to take action against the policy. Senior Manny Golding recently organized a group to protest against the controversial decision.

“As someone who has relied heavily on a laptop for just about every one of my assignments over the past four years, I felt compelled to do something against this outrageous decision,” Golding said. “Students For Screens (SFS) was created to represent and protect all rising NASH juniors and seniors against this ridiculous policy. Our laptops are not going anywhere. We are not going anywhere.”

Despite the backlash amongst students, the “screen-free week” is set to be implemented in the 2024-2025 school year at NASH. If the results are favorable, the policy is planned to be extended to NAI the following year. 

“We are extremely happy to see North Allegheny making the right decisions for our kids, and personally, I am pleased with all the work the PFP has put in to make such a change possible,” Southers said. “As we have always said, ‘Paper is Progress, Screens are Restricting.’ I only hope the students learn this lesson soon as well.”

Editors’ Note: As the dateline suggests, this article is an April Fools’ prank and has no basis whatsoever in actual fact. It is entirely fictitious.

7
View Comments (7)
About the Contributor
Sunny Li
Sunny Li, Co-Editor-in-Chief
Sunny is a Senior at NASH who is writing for the Uproar for the second and final year. As one of three Editors-in-Chief, Sunny hopes to inspire the rest of the Uproar's staff to go outside the box with wacky, yet well-constructed works. Outside of writing for the Uproar, Sunny enjoys aiding, guiding, and competing for the Speech and Debate team as one of two event leaders for Interpretation.

• L

LindsayApr 1, 2024 at 6:27 pm

I’m confused – Southers is quoted as saying “Students must be prepared for the real world, and to do so, we have no choice but to separate them from their laptops.” In the real world every job relies on technology now a days. So while I agree kids are on screens too much, taking away their laptops for school work seems to go against preparing them for the real world. We should be having a week long social media blackout instead. I think that would be a much more interesting experiment for kids’ mental health.

Reply
    • L

LindsayApr 1, 2024 at 6:38 pm

Omg you got me good! Nice work uproar!

Reply
  • S

SamanthaApr 1, 2024 at 4:44 pm

I think this could have very interesting results, but I worry about students who have legally required accommodations that rely on technology. How will those students be accommodated but not targeted or excluded during these weeks?

Reply
    • S

SamanthaApr 1, 2024 at 5:08 pm

Just realized this is an April Fools post… haha! Nice work Uproar! 🙂

Reply
      • A

adviserApr 1, 2024 at 6:26 pm

Nice to hear from you, Sam. Hope you’re doing well!

Reply
  • J

Julia SmithApr 1, 2024 at 2:54 pm

PFP for TRUTH!

Reply
  • A

ApeighApr 1, 2024 at 11:40 am

I don’t think this is really going to help. I think it’s really pointless. I think parents are trying to take what we know and make it more difficult, plus they don’t have rights to change class schedules like Gym. They can’t change the curriculum like that.

Reply