Prom: Fairytale or Fiasco?

graphic by Heya Lee

graphic by Heya Lee

Amber Vora, Staff Writer

I’ve always admired the Prom pictures that are annually posted on social media. Everyone is always genuinely smiling and seeming to be having the time of their lives. But what hardships led up to that picture perfect moment? As a witness to an ample amount of Prom drama, I can sincerely say that it’s not as easy as the movies make it seem.

Picking a prom group, finding a date, and choosing the ultimate setting for pictures are unfortunately complicated tasks. I have personally seen Prom groups break up what had appeared to be indestructible relationships.

It’s no hidden truth that Prom has transformed many of our NASH peers into nervous wrecks.”

I’m the type of person who has friends from all different cliques, which made choosing a Prom group nearly unachievable. However, I promised myself that I wouldn’t lose friendships built over the years over such a miniscule event in my life. Others must have not made such a promise to themselves, because choosing a table of ten has ripped people apart. Although a part of me understands the pre-arranged seating, I still question why we can’t skip over the unnecessary drama and just show up.

While walking the halls of NASH recently, I’ve noticed that the only topic people seem to discuss is Prom, and it’s no fairytale. I’ve observed dates break up weeks before the dance but be forced to go to together because they already bought the tickets.

On another note, people don’t have the audacity to just say no when they’re asked and have to make up an excuse to get out of it. Others view Prom as a testing ground to see if their date will mean something more in the future, even though we will all be going in different directions next year anyway. Also, girls frantically search for a date and instantly feel a rush of insecurity if no one asks them. Boys are pressured to ask someone even if they don’t want to go with anyone only because they don’t want to show up alone. It’s no hidden truth that Prom has transformed many of our NASH peers into nervous wrecks.

For those of us who are people pleasers, knowing that someone in our group isn’t enthused about the setting for pictures causes panic. Groups are splitting up for pictures because it’s everyone’s “special night”, so they all want to do exactly what they want. Compromise is an unknown word to most teenagers, and the result can be senseless fighting. Some people want expensive limos while others would be fine driving down in a minivan. Some want pictures at Mount Washington, and others want to go to North Park. That’s what happens when it’s everyone’s one and only Prom — they want it to go their way.

I’ve been looking forward to Prom since kindergarten, and now that it’s less than a week away, I’m ironically glad that it’s almost over. After all of the drama, I’m sad to report that Prom is not a fairytale. Hopefully, the actual dance will be a happy ending to a miserable preparation phase.

Amber Vora, Staff Writer
Amber Vora is a senior at North Allegheny.  Amber has been writing fiction since the age of ten but has decided to enter the world of journalism. Her aspirations include becoming a successful high school teacher, publishing a full-length novel, and getting at least eight hours of sleep every night. She is awkward and clumsy...