North Allegheny Ranks High on Niche.com

Richard Jensen, Reporter

Niche.com ranks North Allegheny School District as the 25th best school district in America and the 2nd best school district in Pennsylvania. This ranking demonstrates a high academic caliber, attracting new families to the district.

A website that allows the public to research schools, colleges, neighborhoods, and companies, Niche compiles comprehensive report cards, rankings, and reviews and is a well-respected source for determining possible job and housing locations.

Earlier this year, NA received an “A+” score in important categories such as Academics, Sports, Teachers, Clubs and Activities, and College Preparation. In particular, the district was ranked as the best for athletes in Pennsylvania and seventh best school district for athletes nationally. However, the district received an “A” in Resources and Facilities and a “B-” in Diversity.

Image courtesy of Niche.com

“We are always proud of the Niche rankings because it measures more than just standardized testing scores,” NA Public Relations and Communications Specialist Emily Schaffer said. “The rankings show school climate, teaching quality, and teachers themselves as opposed to just testing.”

NASH Principal Dr. Kreider also pointed out that while academics are a part of the Niche rankings, the website looks at many more categories when performing its analysis. He explained that the district always keeps an eye on the different rankings and that the administration’s reaction was naturally positive.

In response to the lower diversity rating from Niche, Schaffer outlined the district’s plans to increase and promote diversity.  “We always want to promote diversity at North Allegheny,” she said. “We have a diversity committee who takes numerous initiatives to promote the diversity we have in the district. This year, we are also having a ‘Celebration of Us’ event, which happens every two years.”

Kreider also provided information regarding promoting diversity in NASH and the district. During the weeks of April 1 and April 8, NASH will host the “In Our Family” mobile display which celebrates the diversity of family life. This event supports single families, families living with physical or mental challenges, immigrant families, adoptive families, foster families, divorced families, and gay and lesbian-parented families.

Another event NASH is hosting is the “Road to Freedom” mobile display, which will come to the school during the weeks of April 29 and May 6. This display supports equal rights for students and adults with disabilities and stresses that the lives of children with disabilities are normal people; these children’s lives are not governed by their disability.

Furthermore, one of the key points Dr. Kreider stressed during the class meetings held in the auditorium at the beginning of the school year was respecting others. Students are encouraged to learn about others with different cultures, background, or experiences.

Shaffer stated that the high rankings help attract new families into the district. “It certainly helps when parents are looking,” she said. “A few days ago, I talked with a realtor who mentioned a family that had looked at the Niche rankings when considering to move into the district. Also, word gets out through the community and we have a great reputation.”

Kreider added that new families he has interacted with have researched the district using websites such as Niche and that the ratings definitely impact their choice of school.