*Effects of Coronavirus on Businesses

How the coronavirus has affected businesses, restaurants, and school districts worldwide.

Sophia Caruso, Staff Writer

With the recent spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) many workplaces and restaurants have taken precautions to help prevent any spread or contamination. The virus has forced closure on college campuses and many businesses worldwide.

Chief Financial Officer Katherine Jaspon of Dunkin’ said, “We are obviously putting money up to support, making sure that our restaurants are staying clean and safe.” Both Dunkin’ and Starbucks have temporarily stopped using reusable mugs and cups as a way of cutting any potential contamination.

CNBC reports that “CapitalSpring, a restaurant investment firm with about 4,000 locations nationwide in its portfolio, has sent out detailed instructions to its restaurants, which include Taco Bell and Wendy’s franchises.

Some of the firm’s directives are unique to the situation, like placing kitchen timers in restaurants and setting them to go off periodically for some time limit under an hour. When the timer dings, employees have to complete a specific cleaning task, like wiping down a cash register or soda station. Tracking sheets and video surveillance make sure that employees are following stricter policies.” 

As of  March 11th, The Wall Street Journal reported that the World Health Organization declared Coronavirus a pandemic. Because of the heightening concern of the Coronavirus, a precaution of sanitation has become top priority. Many major events, such as Coachella, South by Southwest and Facebook’s annual conference, have either been postponed or cancelled.

Students at NASH have had to face the same reality.

“I am going to have to wear surgical gloves and they told us we have to wash our hands and keep countertops extra clean throughout the day,” said NASH senior Autumn Bulebush, who works at Starbucks.”

The upped concern in places such as Starbucks have served as a reminder for how seriously people are treating the virus. 

Both businesses and schools are taking small steps that can help prevent the spread of Coronavirus and help prevent any further distribution of the virus. As of right now, there is no vaccine, though scientists are actively researching potential treatments

NASH is taking its own precautions by hanging up signs in bathrooms and outside of school as well as advising students to not attend school if they are sick or are being treated medically beyond their daily medications. 

At the time of this article, Pennsylvania has reported 19 cases of COVID-19, eight in Montgomery County, one in Philadelphia, Delaware, Monroe and Wayne counties. Other school districts are using their unconsumed snow days and using them as prep days in case school is cancelled. Students from both North Allegheny and Fox Chapel have been advised to take home their laptops in preparation for potential cancellations, which would lead to online classes in replacement.

Beyond the United States, China is equally setting regulations and rules for sanitizing both in restaurants and workplaces. Places such as Italy are on lockdown and as of March 11th, President Donald Trump announced there will be a thirty-day travel ban on coming and going to Europe, excluding the United Kingdom. The ban includes only travelers coming from Europe to the United States, and it does not prohibit travel of legal residents and citizens of the United States. 

The next few weeks, months, and potentially, year will be a waiting game as to how the novel coronavirus continues to affect the world.