Good Talk: Ms. Kozej

When it comes to excuses, she’s heard them all

Julia Badamo, Staff Writer

Did you grow up in the Pittsburgh area? If not, where are you from?

I grew up moving to several different states and schools.  We moved to the North Hills when I was in 10th grade.  I graduated from North Hills High School.  Not going to say what year – 😉

What did you do before becoming the Attendance Secretary at NASH?

I stayed home with my three children for many years.  I am also an interior designer and worked in that field as well.  I started subbing for NA in 2016 and then started working part time for Franklin and Ingomar Elementary and now here at NASH.

Describe your first day working as the Attendance Secretary. Did things go the way you expected?

Yes my first day went as expected.  There is a lot to learn.  It was a slower day since most everyone comes to school!

For those who are not familiar, what does an Attendance Secretary do?

I am in charge of all of the attendance for NASH, including early dismissals, tardies, teacher attendance, absence excuses, field trips, vacations, and college visits.  I enter everything into our computer system.  I answer a lot of phone calls and answer questions about student attendance.

What goes through your mind when you realize that a student has tried to turn in a note that their parent didn’t write?

My main concern is the well-being of the students!  If parents are not aware of where their child is, it is a concern.

Being an attendance secretary means you take phone calls from students’ parents. What is the craziest phone call that you have ever received from a parent?

Most everyone I have talked to has been really supportive and helpful.  Sometimes when I call parents to confirm early dismissals, they will joke that they have no idea what I’m talking about – funny funny!!!!

On days before breaks, many students are “sick.” Describe how those days go.

The days before a holiday break are very busy days.  There are lots of phone calls, paperwork, and data entry.

What was the most outrageous reason a student has given for missing school?

Hmmm, nothing outrageous so far.

Have you ever traveled outside of the country? Is there any place at the top of your bucket list that you want to visit?

I have traveled to Europe.  My family and I recently went to Telluride, Colorado and it was amazing.  I would highly recommend it!  There are so many places I would like to visit that I can’t name just one.

What do you enjoy doing outside of the Attendance Office?

I enjoy decorating, gardening, reading, exploring different restaurants with my husband,  going to the Outer Banks, and spending time with my family.

Is there anything students should keep in mind when they are writing an early dismissal or absence excuse?

Include your STUDENT ID. please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you could give any advice or tips to NASH students, what would it be?

Your thoughts and feelings create your life.  So stay positive, confident, happy, passionate, kind!